Thursday, October 4, 2007

first posting

Well Joe Orton is my favourite diarist - he left nothing to the imagination but I am a bit more discreet - I think - I had a wonderful literary day about six years ago in London - my Lonely Planet Guide suggested a visit to Hampstead as much for the wonders of Kenwood House (an amazing art collection) as for the literary connections. John Keats lived in a house near the Heath which is now a little museum and I visited there and read Ode to a Nightingale in the front garden. Then I happened upon the house (privately owned but possessing one of those blue signs) that Eric Blair aka George Orwell lived in. My trinity of literary encounters was compelted by a visit to the subterranean loos in Hampstead village - apparently they were a favoured place for the many encounters so imtimately recorded in his diaries.......

2 comments:

The Learning 2.0 Program said...

I wonder if literary diarists will be blogging their thoughts soon instead of publishing in book form??

Eddie Player said...

Dear Joe, let's hope that nobody registers under the user name of Kenneth Halliwell, or there could be an unhappy ending ( ha ha)
Seriously Joe, I enjoyed your entry.
No public lav pun intended.